There are no products in your cart. Perhaps the item you chose is sold out.
The Elements of Music: Melody, Rhythm, and Harmony, Martineau
This groundbreaking book present the elements of music in a way that is pedagogically clear and comprehensible, by building upon simple principles of proportion and relationship. These in turn are corresponded to language as musical metaphor. This, in combination with novel graphics and symbols, carries the reader to a basic understanding of melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic principles, as well as Western musical notation. A great primer on music theory for the novice or professional, as well as an invaluable resource for composers and students, it includes the following:
- A rich unfolding of metaphors and illustrations to elucidate a notoriously impenetrable and abstract subject.
- The properties of the overtone series and how it influences harmonic and melodic thought.
- A discussion of epigrams and dialectics exploring how meaning is carried through time.
- Rhythm and meter as the marking of time and the organization of it into self-similar structures.
- From the circle of fifths to intervals, triads, and later seventh chords and extensions.
- How major/minor key tonality and modulation occur, and how they differ from music based upon drones or other types of scales.
- How form and structure reflect the relationship of humans to time and emotional states.
- A wealth of scales, rhythmic patterns, and notation references in the appendices.
About Jason Martineau
Dr. Jason Martineau is an award-winning composer, pianist, and instructor, and has been active in the San Francisco Bay Area since 1995. He has been a faculty member of Academy of Art University since 2011, and was an adjunct faculty member of the San Francisco Conservatory of Music for the 2014-15 academic year. He has also been a guest lecturer at the California Institute of Integral Studies, and has been writing a monthly column on the subject of love for FSHN Magazine since 2011.
- Jason Martineau
- Walker Books
- Code 00521741
- EAN 9780802716828
- Weight 368