"The David" Violin Bookmark

$13.00
Article code 028682
Solid brass bookmark, measuring approximately 0.75" W x 1.75" L.
Add to cart

The violin known as the "David" was built in Cremona in 1742. In the nineteenth-century it was owned by the famed violin master Ferdinand David and has since carried his name. It was purchased by Jascha Heifetz in 1922 and he played it for over 50 years. In 1989 what is widely regarded as one of the world's finest violins came into the permanent collection of the Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco as a bequest from Heifetz. It was the donor's wish that the "David" vibrancy be maintained by being played on special occasions by worthy performers. Its use is now overseen by the Museum Music Advisory Task Force.